Blog #14

Today was my second day at IMG. I arrived early and was able to talk with the team and figure out who I am shadowing. My first session was with Lindsay, she works with all the soccer teams. Lindsay had set up a whole end of term family feud game which were questions about all the things they had covered this year. Unfortunately the soccer coach didn’t put her session on the soccer schedule so only 3 players showed up. Now this could have been a bust, however, one player had a problem. She was struggling to communicate with coach and explain that she will need to miss practice for academics. Lindsay said to her that the biggest thing was to communicate. Communication is a huge step into self advocating. The young lady walked away with an understanding that she has the power to only control the factors within her control. Yet self-advocacy is vital and asserting herself increases her probability of reaching a mutual understanding between she and her coach. She can't worry about what her teammates think, or if coach will be mad, the reality is that she needs to do what best for her. Lindsay was able to give her the confidence that needed to talk to coach and explain to her teammates.
The next session I had was with DJ, he was talking about NCAA violations with the post grade students. This presentation was one of many that had been happening year round. This presentation was on drug and substance violations and the repercussions that affect you as an athlete. DJ showed a video made by the NCAA to help athlete regulate the substance they put in their body and to also make them very aware that they will have consequences. DJ’s plan was to inform the athlete rather than demonize them and make them out to be monsters. I liked this method, DJ was open and honest with the players. He explained that he’s not mom or dad, he simply cares and wants to help them be the best athletes they can. I liked this program because it helps athletes transition and makes them aware of the fact that they have to step up and grow up. The real world doesn’t play games and so the more knowledge you have the better you can protect yourself.
My last session was in the mind gym. I was able to look at the neuro tracker, the Dari, a few of the problem solving puzzles, and many other things. They allowed me to work out in the mind gym and sharpen my skills. The mind gym was amazing, I was like a little kid who was so happy to be in there. I was able to try out everything and do what I wanted to. My experience at IMG was amazing, I am so thankful to the staff and everyone who has given me advice. They all joked that I was the next member of the team waiting to be hired. I took that as a compliment and can’t wait to keep building relationships with this team and the other people I have shadowed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog